Tuesday, January 13, 2009

BECAUSE I SAID SO!!!

So, as you know, children are very random, except for one thing, asking why? I never wanted to be the type of parent that wanted to respond with "because I said so", but I have to admit, I am. I have been absolutely abusing this line for the last, well, since my daughter could speak, I would guess 4 years ago.



Tonight my daughter walked into the garage which is about 45 degrees and she left the door open, so, thinking of my current economy (unemployed) I of course asked her to close the door. The obvious question she needed an answer for was "why?". Now whereas I completely understood that I had the best interest of the family, our budget, our comfort, etc, she was at a complete loss for a reason why I would put her through something as difficult as walking up 3 steps and reaching for the door knob to close the door. Ultimately I just want her to understand that I know what is best, I want her to trust me, and I am in control, even though to her, it seems all I am doing is causing a complete inconvenience, distracting her from her goals, taking her off target.


Now, as many of you know I was laid off from what I thought was a career, my wife has been bedridden for going on 3 months now, the medicine is roughly $2,500 per month, my portion, and I found out I have to quit triathlon because I have arthritis in my knee. Obviously I have been asking "why?" to God a great deal. What if his answer is "because I said so", is that good enough for me? Maybe I just need understand, He knows what is best, I can trust Him, and He is in control.


One day my daughter will understand many of the "whys" that are currently in her life, including why she should close the door; she will gain more wisdom as she ages and encounters different things. My hope is one day I understand many of the "whys" in my life but for now, I guess I just need to close the door.



Be intentional, be engaged, be interactive, be a Red Fox Father.

No comments:

Post a Comment